Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A monumental moment for moi

People, I made something. Something... to eat and I am so incredibly proud of myself! Honestly, I haven't been this proud since I ran my marathon last December. Hah. Here is a girl that ruins her grilled cheese. I mean, chars her grilled cheese to a dehydrated hunk of black ash. Think petrified wood. Thats the kind of 'cook' I am and now I can finally pat myself on the back. Its been a long time coming.

Today, I resolved to make carrot cake. With all the carrot cupcake, carrot cake, bunny pins on pinterest, I couldn't get the stuff out of my head. So, I decided to take the plunge. I elected to try the Reader's Digest Winning Carrot Cake Recipe, mostly because of its title "Winning Carrot Cake". With minimal tweaking (ahem, I do not have an electric mixer), this cake turned out exactly as I intended it to. Moist, carroty, with the occasional walnut crunch. 

This Carrot Cake did win.
What an excellent day! As a precursor, I made asparagus topped with fried eggs with parmesan. Add salt, pepper and paprika. C'est simple et magnifique!

2 comments:

  1. These were definitely the two best things I've ever seen you make before. The cake was delicious and the heart-shaped "Eggs in a Basket" you made today was also delicious even if it was he second try ;) You're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum Emily! Very, very proud of you. Need the recipe for the fried eggs and asparagus!

    ReplyDelete