Wednesday, July 6, 2011

ARt ARchives - A belated Fathers Day post

Another day, another dawn and a righteous end to an exaggerated study and worry period. I took the GRE yesterday. Now the day is gone and I can close that door. Yippee!

For a couple of weeks now I have wanted to share with you a bit of craft I created for Dad for Father's Day. As a kid Dad taught me how to admire stained glass windows, among a variety of architectural elements. I liked structure as a kid, that is - I spent most of my time playing with Legos and Polly Pockets (the old ones, the ones that were 1000 times better), reading about castles and drawing wallpaper and floor plans. The fact that I am generally inclined to depict buildings in my art I owe to Dad. 

This Father's Day I wanted to paint Dad something he might really appreciate. He is always telling me to loosen up the detail in my artwork, so I thought I'd make something simple for him. Of course, I looked to Frank Lloyd Wright for some stained glass inspiration. Who wouldn't? I decided on a design, tweaked it a bit and this is the result. I tried color, but it came out darker than I wanted. See below for my process. 

The Inspiration

The sketch

About a quarter of the way done

The finished product :)

A detail

And again, the finished product
The hope is that Mom and Dad will hang it up in the sun room!    I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment